Home Section D - Opinion Vote Sanders

Vote Sanders

17
0
Photo Courtesy of The Odyssey
Photo Courtesy of The Odyssey

Before I explain why I’ll be voting for Bernie Sanders, we need to recognize something that is huge: all of his contributions have been from individuals. He’s received countless numbers of donations from people like you and me. His people-powered campaign has attracted more attention than anyone ever believed it would, and that has to mean he’s doing something right.

I’ll be voting for Bernie Sanders in the upcoming elections because frankly, I’m terrified to vote for anyone else. Let me explain: I am a young woman; I am gay; I want to be married with children in the future; I don’t want to lose my job because of my sexuality. I care about the well-being of other people. Bernie has ideas and values that will positively shape the way we care for and treat others, and he will always fight for equal rights for all people.

Bernie Sanders is the only candidate that has had a consistent viewpoint on LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) rights, including marriage. He’s supported gay marriage and gay adoption for years, long before it was politically convenient to do so. I don’t see him ever changing his views.

Many of the Republican candidates claim that they’re going to reverse the landmark decision made by the Supreme Court on June 26, 2015 in the Obergefell v. Hodges case. Democrats don’t think that this would actually be possible, but with the right audience and enough money, unfortunately, anything is possible.

If you think that the LGBT community doesn’t surround you, then you’re wrong. It’s not just me. It’s your cousin, roommate, coworker, aunt, friend-of-a-friend, boss’s niece; the list goes on. Equality affects everyone, whether you like it or not.

Bernie is genuine. He deeply cares about other people, but doesn’t care what people think of him. He shows this in his ideas and values that benefit those who are frequently thrown under the bus. These people include women, the minority races, people with disabilities, the LGBT community, veterans, immigrants, and those living in poverty.

I’m not going to list all of Bernie’s plans in great detail, but I encourage you to look at them on his website. If you’re skeptical about him, there’s a website called “ilikeberniebut.com” that you should check out. His ideas are common sense to me and to millions of others living in America.

Bernie wants to increase educational and medical opportunities. In many countries, these are things that people don’t even second-guess. They know that they’re a necessity, so they give their citizens the opportunity to receive them. I hate that in America, we fight about who should receive health care. It’s just cruel.

In addition, he wants to shrink the gap between the rich and poor. This includes the idea of a living wage, which makes sense. If a paramedic makes $15 an hour working 40 hours a week, a fast food worker should also make $15 an hour working 40 hours a week. Are more skills required for being a paramedic? Yes, but each job takes up 40 hours a week of that person’s time, not including the commute to get to their job. They each have a family to feed, and bills to pay. Each person needs a living wage, no matter how easy or hard their job is.

Bernie is also an active environmentalist. He recognizes climate change, has plans to combat it, and wants to create sustainable energy. Bernie is going to fight for the rights of all people, and the rights of people living on in America in the future.

All of these things, and many more, are the reasons why I’m voting for Bernie. And thanks to global warming, I’m feeling the Bern.