Home Section B - Sports Men’s Lacrosse’s Narrow Win

Men’s Lacrosse’s Narrow Win


rp_primary_DSC_8566by Emily Sierra Poertner

photo courtesy of Maroon Athletics


The men’s lacrosse team held off Hampden-Sydney this weekend to take a 9-8 win at home. The Maroons have yet to lose in ODAC play.

The game started slowly. It was not until halfway through the first quarter that the fans saw any goals. Hampden-Sydney worked the ball down the field after a turnover by Brendan Devane and were able to score.

Cameron Linsley won the ensuing faceoff for Roanoke. Linsley recovered the ground ball and ran the field to score for the Maroons.

In the faceoff after the goal, Linsley also won. He did the same thing, scoring another unassisted goal. His two goals were within ten seconds of each other.

Linsley scored a third goal for the Maroons. Then Devane followed up with his first goal of the game. The Maroons had a solid 4-1 lead, but Hampden-Sydney won the next faceoff. This was the first faceoff they won and they were able to capitalize on it for a score.

The Maroons got one more goal in the first quarter from Will Pilat, giving the Maroons a 5-2 lead.

IV Stucker started off the second quarter with a goal for the Maroons, after Linsley won the faceoff. After that, the two teams battled for ten minutes without either scoring. This was in part due to both goalies doing really well in the net.

In the final two minutes before half, Hampden-Sydney scored two goals. The Maroons’ lead was shrinking, but they were still up 6-4.

After the half, it was clear Hampden-Sydney was still in the game. They came out and set the tone, scoring a goal, and bringing Roanoke’s lead down to just one point.

Hampden-Sydney slipped up and fouled a Roanoke player, giving the Maroons a man-up opportunity. Pilat took full advantage of the moment and scored. Several minutes later Pilat scored again. Before the end of the third quarter, Hampden-Sydney scored again. Roanoke had a slime 8-6 lead going into the final quarter.

Six minutes into the fourth quarter, Kevin Jackson scored what would be the Maroons’ last goal. With less than two minutes left, Hampden-Sydney scored twice. After the second goal the Maroons took a timeout. They had a one point lead, with just a few seconds left in the game.

Hampden-Sydney won the faceoff but didn’t have time to tie up the game before the end.

Linsley led the team in scoring. He had seven shots, three goals, and one assist. Pilat also had three goals, and four shots.

Burke McManus spent the entire game in the goal for the Maroons. He had thirteen saves, and allowed eight goals. Because of this win, and the Maroons’ 11-7 victory over Randolph College when he had nine saves, he was awarded an ODAC player of the week honor.

The Maroons are now 9-3, 4-0 in ODAC. They will be playing at home this weekend against Lynchburg College at 3 PM on Saturday.