Home Section D - Opinion Dear Sue

Dear Sue

74
0

screen-shot-2016-12-03-at-1-06-40-pm

Photo courtesy of Bookess

I am having trouble finding that special someone. I see all my friends with their boyfriends/girlfriends. They are all happy and I want to feel the same way. Sure, they have their ups and downs, they still find their way back to each other. I just want what they have. I haven’t tried any dating sites or websites. They scare me because I’ve hear stories about people being catfished. What do I do?

Jinxed Jess

Dear Jess,

Finding someone to call a boyfriend or girlfriend is a challenge for everyone. Some people have the courage to make the first move to ask someone out, but also has to be prepared to hear a “no” if they are denied. Others take a calmer route by just talking to their crushes as friends or classmates. This is safer because you are able to get to know one another without feeling pressured to come off pushy or assume information based off of rumors from others. As for your worries about dating sites and apps, there is a possibility you will find someone you know or a potential crush. This also can help if you’re not confident enough to meet in person, you can message for a while until the both of you feel the time is right to meet and go on a date. Although, you are right to be scared of being catfished. It has happened to too many people and is still an issue. The best way to avoid them is to find the person you are talking to on other social media. Often there is a link to their social media accounts. If not, you could always look them up on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram by their name or photo. Just always remember to be on the lookout for catfishers. Finally, you’re still young and you have many years ahead of you. Don’t get swept up in the present. If you are meant to be with someone, it’s likely they will find you.