Written by Emma Grosskopf and Shamira James
Are you in a relationship rut? A drought? Unfairly not getting any action from anyone? Is it looking bleak for your love life? Well, have no fear. Here are a few ways that you (yes, YOU!) can change your approach this season and maybe, just maybe, find what you’re looking for!
- You Always on That Damn Phone
- If you’re caught in the Tinder swipe cycle, try looking up from your phone. While it’s a relatively fun and easy way to meet new people, you might have better luck finding someone who isn’t a Salemite with a tattoo of his dog’s face if you get off the apps and hit the town.
- I Ain’t Got No Type
- Everyone tends to have a type. So maybe if your type happens to be douchey athletes, try your hand at something a little different. You never know if your next Lover Boy could be in the Math department, Theatre RC or published in On Concept’s Edge. Broaden your horizons.
- F R I E N D S
- This is more of a how-to-survive-at-a-small-school tip, but look past your friend group. That way, you eliminate any overlapping crushes or awkward brunchtime conversations with your other friends. Keep in mind that friend groups can fall apart as quickly as they form, and you don’t want to be the reason for that just because you couldn’t keep it in your pants.
- Less Romphouse, More Coffeehouse
- If you always ask your People of Interest to come over to do the same thing, that may be contributing to your rut. Instead of always asking your potentials to come over and “watch a movie” (come on, we all speak the language!), maybe ask them to coffee or out for a smoothie first. Break the ice with a more casual setting than “Let’s turn on Netflix for 20 minutes until we are otherwise occupied.”
- Love is Blind
- Honestly, stop acting like you’re too good to let your friends set you up. If you have a close friend or two who you really trust, then see if they can help you break out of your funk. They might see something in someone that you may be missing, so let them take the wheel. Or, you can leave it to the professionals and try your luck on WRKE’s Hour of Dates with Kaelyn and Destinee. You never know what could happen!